Wednesday 19 August 2009

"Reccomended for you"

I have a YouTube account. Or rather I have a gmail account that can also be used for logging in to YouTube. Anyway, I thought that it was a good idea to make use of the account. Partly because I have a tendency to watch videos I really like over and over and over again.
And again.
And then some more.
Just like an annoying 5 year old actually.
Thus it is practical to be able to "favourite" my favourites, saving myself the 10 extra seconds it would take to search for them. I'm very busy wasting time on the internet, I have to do it effectively.

The other reason for having a personal YouTube is the "reccomended for you" function. I have great experience with this kind of thing from amazon (I made this link to my wishlist, just in case anyone who reads this would ever want to buy me a present) which makes me spend quite a lot of cents ordering library books, and Last.fm, which makes me spend a fortune on hard-to-get music.
Why waste time looking for things I like when there is companies out there who are just too happy to do it for me (while probably making a profile on me in order to sell me stuff more efficiently or for whatever sinister reasons they might have)?
I live in the 21st century, I'm lazy and I want to be entertained.

So, since the "reccomended for you" section in YouTube for some unfathomable reason think I want to see hip-hop videos and "hot girls" I decided to tick the little sqare that says "stay logged in". If I stay logged in, all the YouTube videos I watch will be taken into account and thus my reccomended videos would be perfectly suited to my taste and personality. Maybe, in our culture where what you consume define who you are, it can even give a subtle hint of what kind of person I am.

The resulting reccomended video is this:

I haven't seen it, and I don't want to know what kind of profile I have in Google Inc's archives.


No comments:

Post a Comment